Monday, November 5, 2007

The Sword and Laser

What better way to begin my own journey in the blogasphere then by pointing out a blog which supports an online book club started by the personalities from one of my favorite podcasts, CNET's Buzz Out Loud (how's that for mashing technologies?). As the point of this blog is to express my outlook on news and information in the literature, technology and science circles, it is only fitting that my first post is a mash of literature and technology (you might even be able to squeeze science into that mash, when considering Science Fiction books).

The Sword and Laser is an online book club dedicated to Fantasy and Sci-Fi books, with the intended audience of nerds. Being an avid reader of Fantasy, as well as a nerd, the potential for this site excites me. I'm glad that I discovered it early (thanks to this week's episode of TWiT, which included Veronica Belmont of Mahalo and formerly of Buzz Out Loud), and I am looking forward to catching up the first book being discussed: The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman.

For those who are interested in joining this interesting club as well, I thought I might list a few possible ways of purchasing The Golden Compass.


  • The entire trilogy His Dark Materials can be purchased from amazon.com for $13.50, which happens to be less than any of the used prices for the same.

  • It can be purchased in audio format through audible.com for $25.90, or it can be purchased with one of your two credits with a monthly subscription for $11.47 a month, or it can be your freebie with the TWiT free trial.

  • It can also be purchased cheaply from ebay.


I may go with the freebie from Audible and TWiT. However I purchase it, I look forward to catching up with the book club and discussing The Golden Compass with my fellow nerds.

No comments: